Thursday, January 26, 2012

A Ridiculous Valentine


Hello to all my blogland friends!

Today, as the title of my post suggests, I am posting the ridiculous Valentine's card I made for my husband. This card needs a little explanation - to look at it you would probably be left wondering "What??".



Okay, so have you ever heard that saying "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"? Well I am a firm believer in the saying "Don't let the real lyrics get in the way of singing along".

I am sure most of you will be familiar with Bruno Mars and his song "Grenade". When this song was first released I was merrily singing along to it in the car when my husband heard me sing "I'd jump in front of a tree for love". He stopped me mid-song, asked me to repeat what I'd just said, and then pointed out that the true lyrics were "I'd jump in front of a train for ya".

Right. Actually that made a lot more sense. Far braver to jump in front of a train than a tree.

However,  "Jump in front of a tree for love" has stuck. I  now often declare my love for Andrew with reference to throwing myself in front of trees and shrubbery. Here's the link to the song on YouTube. Am I the only person who thinks Bruno needs to work on his pronunciation?



So there you have it - a ridiculous Valentine's Day card that tells you a lot about how silly my husband and I can be. The images are "Zoe Celebrates" and "Big Tree", both from Make It Crafty - coloured with copics. The sentiment was computer generated on top of an old ticket freebie I lost the details for. I have added some silver and green ribbons from my stash. The DP (sadly hardly visible) is Fancy Pants Design "Love" with love hearts made from words on it.

I hope my equally ridiculous hubby will be very happy with his unconventional Valentine.

Entered into the following challenges:
Ribbon Carousel - Non-Traditional colours
MyGrafico - Tickets anywhere for someone special
The Cutie Pie Challenge - Favourite song (Grenade of course!)
Hooked On Craft - Something Bright to represent Aussie Summer - that bright blue sky and green tree
Poodles Parlour - Valentine/Love

and shared on Make It Monday.


Until next time,
Tracey
x

17 comments:

Tracy said...

I love this story! LOL My hubby and I also have our little quirky saying that only make sense to us. I think you created a wonderful Valentine card for you hubby, Great coloring job Tracey! Hve a wonderful week!

Debbie Carriere said...

OMgosh, what a great story and a wonderful card to go with!!! Thanks for playing at The Ribbon Carousel!!

happyglitzygirl said...

Great card, wonderfully coloured, enjoyed your story behind it.
Too funny. You are an awesome Card 'artist'. Blessings Hilde

Jo said...

Your card makes perfect sense when you know the story behind it, doesn't it lol?? Fab card and real funny story, i love it!
Jo x

Rene said...

SO cute!!! (Both the story and card!) GREAT Valentine!
Thank you so much for linking up at MIM and remember, to be in the running to win second prize from our sponsor this week just leave a comment for another entry. Be sure to mention you saw them on Make It Monday. The more entries you comment on the more chances you have of winning! Good luck,
Rene :D

Lisa Minckler said...

Hahahahaha...I can hardly see the screen through the tears in my eyes!!
This is better than ANY card you could EVER buy in a store.
Well crud, now I'm never gonna sing that song right ever again.
This may cause me to break out in spontaneous laughter the rest of the day! LOL...LOVE IT!
Hugs,
Lisa xx
P.S. Thank you for sharing your humor and talent at Make It Monday too!

Anonymous said...

Fab card, Great Song and I love the image! Thanks for playing at Cutie Pies Woo x

Chris said...

Isn't it funny how we hear words in songs? I've done the same thing as you...sung the wrong lyric! Your card cracked me up - even before I read the story. I love how you took a situation and turned it into a memorable card. I love it! Thanks so much for brightening my day and joining us at Hooked on Craft Challenges! BTW - the stamp of the gal is hilarious!

Chris

Mary J said...

Hilarious!!! A brilliant card!

Thx for linking up to the Make It Monday party!

Mary J x

Shirley-Anne said...

Yeah , I thought it funny but I think that it is more cute and sweet and rather intimate and something rather special that you have shared with us .Thank you for that and the chuckle .
Love the card .

nnalorac said...

Loved reading your post Tracey. The story behind your card is lovely as is your card. Carolxx

Jacq said...

Hi Tracey,
Oh how I laughed when I read your post ROFL...hehehe I'm always doing that, maybe I need my hearing tested ;) ....anywho.....This is simply Gorgeous!!! Love those Fabulous Make It Crafty images, Zoe sure does have some amazing images. Love the dp, the colour scheme is fab. Love the layout and the embellishments. Coloured to perfection as always. Thanks for joining us at Poodles Parlour with this Fab Card and funny post and Good Luck. Hope to see you joining in with us again.
Hugs Jacq xxxx

Karen said...

This is truly an amazing card sweety! I love it so very much. :0)
Thank you so much for joining us at MIM and The Poodles Parlour - Good Luck!
Hugs, Karen.xx

DT for Make It Monday.
DT for The Poodles Parlour.

Debbie said...

Hi Tracey...Thank goodness I'm not the only one who gets the lyrics wrong sometimes. Fantastic card, lovely colouring.
Hugs Debbie x

Michelle said...

LOL, oh I have not had a good chuckle like that in ages!! What a funny store!

Your card is absolutely brilliant and is so perfect for you to give your hubby.

Thank you for sharing with us at Make It Monday this week.

Michelle :o)

Margaret said...

Saw your card on Lisa M's blog and had to come check it out! LOVE IT!! I love to sing along with the radio and there are several songs that I am guilty of rewriting! Your card is fabulous and the sentiment is so perfect for your DH! Awesome work!!

Unknown said...

Hi Tracey, what a great card! Wonderful story behind it - and love the image. That's why we make cards isn't it - to make it personal.

Sarah